at my biggest

at my biggest
christmas 2005

Sunday 25 September 2011

It was the food

The seedy feeling has gone. So too has the junk food. Just one day of eating clean healthy food and the seedy feeling is gone. It really does show the difference. I remember when l was 18 l went to the doctor to inform them that l always feel sick. Instead of looking at my diet the doctor prescribed anti nausea tablets. I took these for 6 months before l finally started to look at my diet a bit more closely and realised it was diet that was making me feel sick. You would think a doctor would of asked the question "how's your diet?'" but instead month after month just wrote me a script. My diet at the time was appalling, l lived on coke, cigarettes, scotch and occasionally a potato. It wasn't until l met my husband that l finally had a person model to me what a healthy diet was. Up until then the first meal l normally had for the day was around 4pm and 9/10 it was a mars bar. Food was never really thought of as something that could fuel my body, it was more about the then and now, "l am hungry and l will eat whatever l can find for the amount of money l have in my pocket right this minute".

I often wonder how much different my relationship with food would be if l lived in a household that modeled better food options. It's why l am so passionate about teaching children about food, l knew how to cook and tend for a garden but l didn't know anything about a healthy diet. I was allowed to eat whatever l wanted whenever l wanted it. Breakfast was never offered to me, if l did have breakfast it would be coco pops or worst still remember those corn flakes covered in sugar, l use to have those with more sugar on top. Actually my whole diet was sugar, salt and oil. This are not healthy building blocks for a body. But some how my body survived and so did my teeth. It amazes me how quickly l can slip back into the sugar junkie. That is my biggest weakness SUGAR. It's also the worst ingredient to consume for your skin. Sugar ages you especially lines on your face. So my new focus is trying to reduce sugar in my diet, every time l eat something sugary l am going to imagine my wrinkled face smiling back. That should be enough of a incentive to kick my sugar habit for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment