at my biggest

at my biggest
christmas 2005

Tuesday 26 June 2012

2 mins of fame

Well l got my 2 mins of fame last night on Chanel two news. They wanted to interview me about my view on the rising obesity epidemic. My view is that we need to stop focusing on body images and move towards looking at this as a health issue. I personally know that is why l wanted to lose weight in the first place. It wasn't because l wanted to be a skinny girl. It was because l hated feeling sick and l knew what l was eating and doing was making me feel this way. Being overweight is a form of illness. You do feel sick, if you are currently overweight l want you to really think hard about this questions and answer honestly.
1. At night do you have to wake up to go to the bathroom?
2. Do you have to change posititions during the night because your body aches?
3. Do you suffer from headaches?
4. Are you Lethargic?
5. After eating do you feel even more lethargic?
6. Are you bowel movements irregular?
7. Do you have body aches, such as sore lower back, sore knees, that cause you pain and discomfort?
8. Is your skin blotchy, dry, prone to eczema and psoriasis?
9. Do you sweat alot??
10. Do you suffer with depression?
11. Do you have mood swings?

All these questions above l could answer yes to when l was over 100kgs, l also know that if l gain a few kilos back l can begin to answer yes to these questions again. Once you begin to treat your body well you start to question why you were treating yourself like this in the first place.

The other amazing thing l noticed yesterday was that my husband's weight has also dropped along with me. Although my husband never gained a huge amount of weight he still was overweight. With me changing my lifestyle and eating habits he was forced to do the same. As in many households there is normally one person who is the main cook. As the head cook in my house l do control the other house members food without even realising it my health choices have made an impact on my entire family.

So if you are the head cook in your household remember your choices impacts your entire family. You are your children first teacher of life and you lead by example as a role model. Regardless if you give them the healthy food and you eat poorly you are still there role model. Do as l say not as l do, does not work with children. So as we currently sit at home in this very cold winter, remeber there is always a healthier better option and think about what you are putting into your mouth impacts your life span, your health. It won't be long till we will be seeing hard hitting ads about this on tv. Just like TAC and the quit smoking campaigns have ran hard hitting ad's soon the government will have to do the same about obesity.

Why is obesity on the rise?? why is it such an issue??? I have my theories. My biggest one is the fact that people are so disassociated with our food. I'll put on my old grandma voice here "back in the day" people grew some of their own food, and bought basic staple ingredients like, butter, milk, flour, sugar. So people weren't buying processed items. The biggest key to losing weight is going back to basics, get rid of the processed foods, eat natural foods and move more. It is cheaper and healthier and better for the environment. I am not going to get started on the carbon tax, however if you look at where our food comes from there should be a tax on those products. Do you know the milo cereal bars come from Singapore? Yes they are made there and then shipped to Australia? How does this make sense, when we have all the ingredients and production facilites to do this here however it gets sent all the way to Singapore. Not to mention the amount of food we waste and throw out. However a carbon tax makes sense?? Hmmm maybe there is a way of killing two birds with one stone, maybe we should be looking at a way of taxing processed products which are bad for the environment as well as for people instead, allowing essentials like heating, cooling and facilites for people to cook at home to be cheaper.

Well that is my rant for the day. I'll now step down from my soap box and resume back to normal blog posts. Until then try to spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment